Monday, May 4, 2009

Rainwater Harvesting Project photo album

I finished my FSD project! Though in the spirit of participatory community development, I should say, "The community finished its project, which I supported them in executing!" Which is the truth.

Here are the pictures. Hooray!

I originally scheduled two days of construction and it took seven. Typical. You should see my lessons learned document. If I wrote a "What I knew about rainwater harvesting systems going into this" doc, no doubt the lessons learned would be twice as long.

And yes, I know I didn't come here to do a water project, I came to do micro-credit and women's empowerment, but once I got here, I found that the greatest need in the community is water for our learning center school kids. Clean water will keep them healthy and able to avoid typhoid, diarrhea, cholera, etc. etc. If you want to see the grant proposal I wrote to FSD for the project (which took me a good week to put together!) I'd be happy to send it. I'm quite proud of it, and feel like I have a decent handle on grant writing now. When I get back and need a break from job searching day in and day out, I'd like to continue to try to write grants for ACCES.

Now to work on the micro-credit program, which will basically entail working with Steve (the micro-credit coordinator) on how to make the program viable, since our funding from Canada has been cut more than 50% in the last month. Oy.

Big hugs,
Katy

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Awesome! Grant writing is such a great skill to have. I'm bummed that I passed up the opportunity when my old boss at KYCC offered it to me. But I had enough on my plate over there. Yeay!

Monte Means said...

Great photos, Katy (although the shots of the butcher shop make me want to go veg), and what a wonderful project to be a part of!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous photos Katy! Thanks for taking the time to add captions, it really adds a personal touch :-) And, don't worry about long posts, I like to read your updates, short or long!