Monday, January 12, 2009

Pack list

Over any loneliness and am a little bit giddy at not being at work on a Monday morning. I'm packing my backpack for Africa now so that I can put the rest of my clothes in storage (save some to wear until the 22nd.)

Here’s the FSD pack list…how funny that this is about what I would pack for a two week vacation, and these clothes are going to last six months! I will basically be wearing the same thing week after week! :-) I wonder if the short pack list is to encourage us to travel light, or, because this is the typical wardrobe of someone in Kakamega and it would be odd if volunteers brought twice as many of everything…

Underwear
Sturdy cotton socks
A light jacket and/or sweater
Light waterproof jacket and umbrella
1-2 long-sleeved warmer shirts/tops
1-2 pairs of casual pants/capris for home and travel
1 pair of long shorts (optional, for sports)
3-4 skirts, knee-length or longer (for women)
4-5 shirts to wear to work
2-3 more casual shirts to wear on the weekend, traveling, around the house, etc.
At least one nice outfit for special occasions, e.g. church, festivals, special functions at the host organization.
A pair of comfortable, sturdy shoes for running or sports
1 pair of dressy, comfortable sandals to wear to work
1 pair of rubber flip-flops for bathing and wearing around the house
Rubber rain boots (can also be purchased inexpensively and easily in-country)
A bathing suit
Modest sleepwear
Sun hat


Packing is proving to be harder than I expected though. I only have one work skirt that goes past my knees which I don’t care about getting hand washed and line dried every week.

Plus, all my work shirts are fitted (after years of having everything too baggy, I started having tops taken in so they actually fit). I want to be as conservative as possible… Hmmm… today may include a trip to goodwill!

When I was on vacation in India for three weeks, which is similarly conservative, I definitely missed wearing tank tops and shorts... how sad that this is the last time my shoulders and knees see the light of day for some time!

Enthusiastically,

Katy

1 comment:

Michael Landis said...

I love the way that first sentence reads, considering you posted on a Tuesday -- says something about how schedules go out the window without something reminding you what weekends are and aren't :-D

Here's a thought -- have Will take a picture of your shoulders or knees, where you can see a tanline that won't be there in 6 months, then take another one when you get back. That'll be wild!