Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I can't believe it!!!

I am so humbled by everyone's generosity.

I just finished adding up donations from the last week and a half and realized that through gifts from friends and family, my FSD program fees are almost entirely covered. All I have to worry about now are the costs FSD doesn't take care of: my airline tickets, vaccines and malaria meds, evacuation insurance and living costs outside of room and board. All of that adds up to another $3,400, but that amount is much less intimating than the FSD fees of $6,500.

One month ago, I was soooo worried about if I was going to be able to make this trip work financially and if I would be able to volunteer for six months or would have to do a shorter trip, and if it was even the right decision given the economy. But folks have come out of the woodwork to help make it happen. Old friends and new friends and friends of friends and even families of friends. So many unexpected donors who I could never have predicted would contribute.

I feel so lucky and am grateful that the burden has been lifted off my shoulders. All I have to worry about now is getting ready to go, and studying up on micro-finance and Swahili to actually be useful there.

No comments: