Friday, December 19, 2008

Peace Corps letter

I recently got an e-mail from Peace Corps with the following message. As you know, I applied to volunteer last January...

Peace Corps sent you an important letter regarding the status of your application on December 13, 2008. Please review the contents of the letter and contact the Peace Corps if you have questions.

I was dying to see what it was, since they've been sending me additional requests for medical information since I started the medical review process last April. Since Peace Corps takes care of your medical insurance while you volunteer, they're notoriously thorough in evaluating the health of applicants. Their examiners' favorite issue of mine to inquire about--though I've got many-- is my lower back. It goes out about once a year, which causes me to limp for a few days and maybe stay home from work for a day to rest it. Annoying? Yes. Painful? Yes. Would it hinder me from serving as a Peace Corps volunteer Africa? Well, not unless the computer instructor assignment I was nominated for required lifting CPUs onto rickshaws.

Since Peace Corps has already requested and received from me: a 3-page Plan for Pain Management, my physical therapist's notes, a detailed orthopedist assessment, and, most recently, a lower lumbar MRI (which, to my amazement, my insurance actually covered),
I couldn't think of what else they could possibly want. A wax model of the two trouble-making vertebrae in question?

You may be thinking "Why is Katy still getting info from the Peace Corps if she's going to volunteer with FSD?" I dunno. I suppose it's curiosity. And pride. Since the whole bureaucratic application/medical review process has taken sooo long to play out, I've been curious to see what their final offer would be -- which country, when the departure date would be, etc. After being strung along for what seems like forever, I want the the satisfaction of rejecting them and taking my sweet time to respond to their Invitation to serve.

The actual letter came yesterday. I could tell from the thin envelope that there was only one piece of paper and a CD inside, which I assumed was my MRI being returned to me. College rejection letters came to mind.




















Well, that was that. Rejected.

Even though being accepted was a moot point, my eyes watered up after I read the letter. I don't know why. Because they were saying there was something wrong with me? Because it took away my feeling of being in control and that whether I went to Africa with FSD or PC was my decision to make?

Shawnté, who has seen me open scores of anti-climactic correspondence from PC, saw what was going on and gave me a big hug. Which I needed. And truth be told, it was pretty validating to have an official name ascribed to my issue: "Discogenic Low Back Pain with Disk Protrusion and Sciatica." Super.

So, I guess it just goes to show that things happen for a reason. If I hadn't met Will, and found FSD, I'd be pretty crestfallen right about now. Instead, I'm excited, hopeful and grateful. So, thank you, Universe. And no, FSD will not require me to do any heavy lifting.

2 comments:

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

It is quite lovely how the universe works out---if you had never gone to Scripps you never would have met me!

Milla said...

fuck those bastards!!!